At the Australasian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS) Annual Conference in Melbourne from 20-22 October, the Society will commemorate 40 years of existence.
ASAPS President, Dr Mark Magnusson, said today, from humble beginnings we have grown to represent more than 300 comprehensively trained Specialist Plastic Surgeons from Australia and New Zealand whose businesses strive for excellence in cosmetic surgery.
“Now in its 40th year, ASAPS is one of the world’s leading organisations in cosmetic surgery, education and research; promoting excellence in all that we say and do.
“As well as our eminent international guests, we are fortunate to have a stellar line up of local speakers who are leaders in their domains,” Dr Magnusson said.
International speakers – (Click here for full bios)
- Dr Bill Adams, USA – Inaugural Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Visiting Professor who will be an integral contributor to many subject matters but in particular breast augmentation and the trials and tribulations that surround the procedure.
- Dr Giovanni Botti, Italy who will be educating attendees on facelift results using fat transfers.
- Dr Daniel Labbe, France who will be presenting on the anatomy of the neck and the possibilities for neck lift surgery.
- Dr Lorne Rosenfield, the USA who will be discussing the facets of the face and in particular what’s new regarding eyelid and browlifts.
Local speakers – to name just a few:
- Dr Niamh Corduff, Vic who will be presenting on biocompatibility and breast implant surfaces.
- Dr Michael Miroshnik, NSW will be detailing how customising dual plane arcs can achieve superior breast aesthetics.
- Professor Anand Deva and Dr Mark Magnusson, NSW who will be giving an update on Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (BIA-ALCL).
- Dr Peter Callan, Vic who will be presenting on the evolution of his Blepharoplasty technique.
- Dr Tim Peltz, NSW will discuss deoxycholic acid and its use as a fat reduction injectable for the neck and chin region.
- Dr Kourosh Tavakoli, NSW who will be presenting on the rise of the Brazilian butt lift.
ASAPS Vice President and Conference Convenor, Dr Naveen Somia said attendees were excited about a satellite session to be held in conjunction with the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons live from San Francisco.
“The discussion will focus on procedures pertaining to breasts and all the pitfalls that may be encountered such as the use of textured versus smooth implants, cohesive gel versus form stable, issues with breast pocket irrigation and how best to use insertion sleeves.
“As a separate stream, we are also providing for Practice Staff with sessions on mindfulness, creating patient-centred practices, presentations on adhering to the AHPRA advertising guidelines, how to prevent data breaches and ensure practices are upholding the privacy laws, and advice on social media community management,” Dr Somia said.
Dr Magnusson said with the increased media attention on the cosmetic surgery industry of late following the tragic death of Ms Jean Huang; the Annual Conference was a timely reminder to the Society’s membership about the importance of patient safety.
“Today’s cosmetic surgery market is a minefield for consumers being by lured by cheap deals. The industry has changed but the standards of excellence must not.
“Our Annual Conference plays a pivotal role in providing our members access to world-class practices, teachers and new research and techniques. We want to ensure our members uphold the very best standard in patient care by providing ongoing learning and development opportunities,” Dr Magnusson said.
For more information and to download the program visit our website asapsevents.org.au.
Media contact: Julia Power, National PR and Marketing Manager, 0414 276 990